What is Jollof Sushi?
Jollof Sushi is a delicious infusion of African Jollof Rice and Japanese Sushi. It’s a fun and unique way to enjoy Jollof Rice and is also a fab take on party food.
It is typically made by wrapping Jollof Rice and other ingredients of choice inside a sushi nori (dried seaweed) sheet. Here we share the Jollof Sushi recipe using Shirley’s Jollof Paste.
Jollof Sushi Recipe:
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Assembling time: 10-15 minutes
You will require the following equipment to make Jollof Rice Sushi:
- One large pot with a lid
- Knife and cutting board
- Sushi rolling mat
Ingredients:(For making Jollof Rice)
- 2 cups of sushi rice
- Shirley’s Jollof Paste
Ingredients:(For making sushi rolls)
- Dry seaweed
- Soy sauce
- A jar of Shirley’s Jollof Paste (one jar cooks 2 mugs of rice, 500g serving 5 people)
- Wash rice thoroughly
- Add full contents of paste to washed rice and mixed well
- Add water and stir paste until dissolved.
- Cook on hob, bring to low boil then reduce the heat to hob mark 3 (cooking appliances vary) stir rice occasionally.
- Cover with foil and cook for 30 minutes on medium-low heat until rice is soft but sticky.
- For assembling Jollof Rice Sushi, put seaweed on a sushi rolling mat. Add a few spoons of Jollof rice and press lightly into seaweed, then spread evenly.
- Cover the Jollof rice with seaweed. Flip over seaweed on a rolling mat with the rice facing the mat. Align sliced tomato, avocado, and cucumber 1 inch away from the edge of the seaweed. Roll from the bottom, using a sushi roller mat to aid the process.
- Cut up rolled sushi and enjoy.