This Jollof Rice with Chicken recipe is super tasty and perfect for dinner and parties. Use Shirley’s Jollof paste to add extra flavor and spice to your dish.
Jollof rice is a famous West and Central African recipe with rice, tomato paste or puree, onions, and various spices and seasonings. This single-pot dish is widely loved and served with chicken, beef, or fish. Jollof rice is a festive dish served at many parties. There are varying methods of making Jollof Rice across the countries where it is eaten.
Jollof Rice with Chicken Recipe.
Here we share the Jollof rice with the chicken recipe, a delicious recipe to surprise your guests and family.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
Servings: 12 servings
- 6 cups jasmine rice or other long-grain rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 15-20 garlic cloves peeled
- 3-inch ginger root peeled and sliced into chunks
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 tbsp Shirley’s Jollof paste
- 6 large Roma tomatoes
- 16 -17 oz tomato sauce
- 4 pounds of chicken thighs or breasts cut into bite-size pieces
- Vegetable oil for frying
- ½ cup diced/sliced carrots
- ½ cup diced/sliced green beans
- Blend the spices. Add the garlic and ginger with a quarter cup of water into a blender. Blend into a paste.
- Season the chicken. Place the chicken into a pot. Add one-quarter of the diced onion, two tablespoons of the blended garlic and ginger, half a teaspoon of the white pepper, and one and a half teaspoons of salt. Mix everything to combine.
- Cook the chicken. Cook the chicken in 3 cups of water to the chicken and bring to a boil on high heat. Simmer it on medium heat for about 18 minutes.
- Cook the tomatoes. Add fresh tomatoes to the blender and blend to a paste. Pour the blended tomatoes into a saucepan. Cook it on medium heat for 20 minutes until the tomatoes shrink.
- Prep chicken for frying. Remove the chicken from its stock and reserve the stock.
- Fry chicken. Take a large pot and heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken to the oil and fry until browned on all sides. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Remove the fried chicken and place it on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
- Make the sauce for the rice. Add one cup of the used oil to fry the chicken in the pot. Add the remaining onions and sauté for two minutes.
- Add the cooked-down tomatoes and 2 tablespoons of Shirley’s Jollof paste to the pot and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and cook until the sauce starts sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Add one teaspoon of dried thyme and the remaining blended garlic and ginger. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Wash rice. Wash the rice 3-4 times with cold water to remove the excess starch.
- Add rice to the pot. Add the washed rice to the tomato sauce in the pot.
- Add 2 cups of chicken stock, half a teaspoon of white pepper, one teaspoon of salt, and 2 bay leaves.
- Add two cups of water to the pot. Use a large sheet of aluminum foil to cover the pot tightly.
- Cook rice on low. Cook the rice on low heat for 20 minutes. Gently stir the rice, and try not to break the grains.
- Cover the pot again with aluminum foil and place the lid on the pot.
- Cook the rice on low heat for another 20 minutes.
- Add carrots and green beans. Add the carrots and green beans to the pot. Cover and cook it for 5 minutes.
- Fluff and serve. Remove bay leaves and fluff rice with a fork. Serve with fried chicken.