This Vegan Jollof Rice is an easy and delicious recipe. Perfect for those who like to eat meat-free meals. Use Shirley’s paste to add extra flavor and spice to your dish.
Vegan Jollof Rice is a plant-based version of the traditional West African rice dish, Jollof Rice. Jollof rice is a popular West African one-pot dish made from rice, tomatoes, onions, spices, and meat or fish. But this vegan Jollof rice recipe uses vegetable stock and many vegetables instead of chicken stock and meat. Jollof rice is a party dish and is served at parties. Vegan Jollof Rice can be enjoyed as a main or side dish. Also, you can pair it with the following:
- Fried Plantains
- Grilled Tofu
- Vegan Meatballs
- Chopped Banana
- A side of veggie salad
Vegan Jollof Rice Recipe.
Vegan Jollof rice is the best recipe for those following a plant-based diet or looking for a meatless meal.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Collect the following things to make a vegan Jollof rice recipe.
For Jollof Sauce:
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- Four cloves garlic
- 30 g ginger
- 1 Scotch bonnet chili
- Two red bell peppers
- One medium brown onion
Or use a bottle of Shirley’s Jollof Paste to make a sauce for a Vegan Jollof rice recipe.
For Jollof Rice:
- 300 g basmati rice
- Four tablespoons of vegetable oil
- One medium brown onion thinly sliced
- One teaspoon of dried thyme
- One teaspoon of smoked paprika
- One teaspoon of curry powder
- Two bay leaves
- 400 ml vegetable stock
- Vegetables(optional): sliced plantains, diced carrots, or peas for added texture and flavor
- Blend the sauce: Roughly chop all the ingredients for the sauce. Add them to a blender with little water. You can remove the seeds from the Scotch bonnet if you want less heat.
- Blend the sauce until smooth, then set aside until later.
- Make Jollof paste: Add the oil to a pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the sliced onion with a pinch of salt. Sauté until the onion turns soft and translucent. Cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the sauce from the blender to the pan. Bring to a simmer, then partially cover the pan.
- Cook the sauce until it reduces to becomes thick, and the oil starts to pool at the sides of the pan. It will take around 30 minutes.
- Or you can skip all the steps by using Shirley’s Jollof paste to make a vegan Jollof rice recipe.
- Meanwhile, add 1 liter of salted water to a boil in another pot.
- Wash the rice: Wash the rice thoroughly with cold water to remove the starch.
- Add rice to the pot: Add rice to the boiling water and cook for 5 minutes. Drain the rice and run it under cold water to stop it from cooking, and set it aside.
- Add the dried thyme, smoked paprika, curry powder, and bay leaves to the paste. Stir to mix the paste well.
- Add the partially cooked rice and stir well to mix the rice through the sauce evenly.
- Add vegetables. Add the vegetables to the paste before the rice to ensure they are cooked thoroughly. These vegetables can add flavor and texture to the vegan Jollof rice.
- Cook the rice on low heat: Turn the heat to low and cover the pot. Cook the rice for 10 minutes on low heat. The rice will be fully cooked and absorbs most of the liquid.
- Fluff and serve. Remove bay leaves and fluff rice with a fork. Serve with fried plantains or grilled tofu.